Remote Course – Training Deaf and/or Blind Dogs with Jules NyeBy
Wednesday, July 18, 2012
11:00am-12:30pm Central Time
CCPDT CEUs: pending
IAABC CEUs: 1.5
Savor the satisfaction of helping a client with a really difficult challenge! Just because a dog is deaf and/or blind doesn’t mean his brain doesn’t work. These dogs are just as intelligent as “Joe Normal” dogs, and training them just means using some critical thinking to be a creative problem solver. Learn how to use the other senses to train the most requested owner behaviors using positive reinforcement techniques.
Some key points that will be covered:
- How do dogs become deaf / blind?
- What are the symptoms?
- How can you test if a dog is deaf?
- Are vibration collars a good idea?
- Why do some deaf / blind dogs become aggressive or develop anxiety?
- What cues and behaviors can I teach my dog?
- Is ASL the best for training a deaf dog?
- How do you communicate?
- How to handle relationships between other house hold pets after your dog goes deaf / blind?
- How to avoid major problems & aggression?
- Do I need to euthanize my dog?